- Sustainability Primer from The Natural Step
- Planning for Sustainability: A Starter Guide from The Natural Step
- An Introduction to Sustainability & The Natural Step (slides)
- IU South Bend Schurz Library Sustainability Subject Guide page
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
IU South Bend is a member institution, which provides access to all members of the campus community to sustainability research, best practices, and professional and student networking. Click HERE to register with your IUSB email for access to a wealth of practical sustainability knowledge and best practices!
Energy Sustainability Workshop Resources:
- Sustainability: The Journal of Record
Sustainability: The Journal of Record speaks to the needs and interests of the rapidly growing community of professionals committed to advancing one of the major imperatives of this young century— preservation and sustainability of global resources. A major voice in the sustainability community, the Journal documents the implementation of sustainability programs in higher education and business, and provides the central forum for academic institutions, the business community, foundations, government agencies, and leaders of green-collar endeavors to share and learn about one another’s progress and programs. Sustainability ultimately fosters collaborations among all stakeholders for attaining mutually supportive objectives.
Sustainability coverage includes:
- Sustainability in higher education
- Corporate sustainability programs
- Integration of environmental, social, human, and economic goals
- Sustainable products, food, and agriculture
- Design, construction, and operation of high-performance green buildings
- Development of laws and policy
- Government and nonprofit initiatives
- New collaborations and opportunities
A listing of resources is available through the IU South Bend Schurz Library and the IU system here. To reach the Schurz Library guide to print and web sources on sustainability, click here.
A bibliography compiled by Center staff is here.
- Biomimicry/Ask Nature promotes learning from and then emulating natural forms, processes, and ecosystems to create more sustainable and healthier human technologies and designs.
- The Donella Meadows Institute, formerly the Sustainability Institute, designed to apply systems thinking and organizational learning to economic, environmental and social challenges. Donella Meadows Institute focuses on understanding the root causes of unsustainable behavior in complex systems to help restructure systems and shift mindsets that will help move human society toward sustainability.
- Downtown South Bend (DTSB): a not-for-profit 501C(6) organization dedicated to the continued growth and prosperity of Downtown South Bend in partnership with the City of South Bend. DTSB continually works to improve the community’s quality of life through creative marketing and promotion, coordinated public/private initiatives, effective economic development and business recruitment.
- Ecoagriculture - Serving as both a conservation strategy and a rural development strategy, ecoagriculture recognizes agricultural producers and communities as key stewards of ecosystems and biodiversity and enables them to play those roles effectively. The goal is for rural communities to be able to manage their resources in such a way as to enhance rural livelihoods, conserve or enhance biodiversity and ecosystem services, and develop more sustainable and productive agricultural systems.
- Energy Ace News and Resources offers useful information such as publications, energy tips and presentations for better management of energy costs in buildings.
- Energy Star - A joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping consumers save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
- EPA - Sustainability - A site maintained by the Sustainability Program of EPA’s Office of Research and Development to provide one-stop access to EPA and related programs and the latest research and activities related to Urban Sustainability and the Built Environment; Water and Ecosystem Services; Energy, Biofuels and Climate Change; and Materials Management and Human Health.
- Fuel Economy - "The official U.S. government source for fuel economy information" provides tips on how to conserve fuel, save money on fuel, find an efficient vehicle, and more.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) - a network-based organization that has pioneered the development of the world’s most widely used sustainability reporting framework and is committed to its continuous improvement and application worldwide.
- Green Seal - certifies goods and services that meet the highest standards of environmental quality and performance so that companies can communicate sustainability. Find information on green living, green business, green governments and non-profits, as well as news, products, and services.
- Greenpeace Guide to Greener Electronics ranks the manufacturers of personal computers, mobile phones, TVs and games consoles according to their policies on toxic chemicals, recycling and climate change. The guide helps consumers learn which companies are working to eliminate hazardous substances, recycle their products, and reduce the climate impacts of operations and products.
- Growing Power is a national nonprofit organization and land trust supporting people from diverse backgrounds, and the environments in which they live, by helping to provide equal access to healthy, high-quality, safe and affordable food for people in all communities.
- Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture
A research and education center that explores and cultivates alternatives that secure healthier people and landscapes in Iowa and the nation.
- Michiana Green Pages - A directory designed to connect Michiana residents with socially and environmentally responsible efforts in the area that provide green products and services. It also includes resources for community building, recreation, health and good eating.
- National Wildlife Federation Campus Ecology Program assists students, faculty, staff and administrators in transforming colleges and universities into learning and teaching models of environmental sustainability.
- Natural Home Magazine offers practical articles and product information on green building and eco-friendly home design.
- The Natural Step - An international not-for-profit oorganization dedicated to education, advisory work and research in sustainable development.
- Organic Consumers Association (OCA) is an online and grassroots non-profit public interest organization campaigning for health, justice, and sustainability.
- Rocky Mountain Institute is an independent, entrepreneurial nonprofit think-and-do tank™ that drives the efficient and restorative use of resources.
- Solar Living Institute provides practical, education by example and hands-on workshops on renewable energy, green building, sustainable living, permaculture, organic gardening and alternative, environmental, construction methods.
- U.S. Green Building Council is a non-profit community of leaders working to make green buildings available to everyone within a generation. It is the sponsor of LEED, an internationally recognized green building certification system.
- Worldwatch Institute - An independent research organization which delivers insights and ideas to empower decision makers to create an environmentally sustainable society that meets human needs. By developing and disseminating solid data and innovative strategies for achieving a sustainable society, the Institute's focuses on three main program areas: Climate & Energy, Food & Agriculture, and the Green Economy.
- WVPE Green Pages - Sponsored by public radio station 88.1FM, this link highlights green and sustainable resources in Michiana.
Help Grow Our Resources!
Do you have a book on sustainability, or with a sustainability theme, that has educated, enlightened or inspired you? We are compiling a list of top 100 Sustainability Books. If you think your favorite is worth sharing, please contact us with the title and author.