Career and Internships
Careers for Political Science and M.P.A. Graduates
IU South Bend students with political science backgrounds have pursued many careers, including the following:
- Journalism (e.g., print and broadcast journalism)
- Business (e.g., management, sales)
- Government service (e.g., U.S. Foreign Service, FBI, CIA, IRS, U.S. Dept. of Education, U.S. Dept. of Defense, congressional aide, state and local agencies and elected offices)
- Law School
- Teaching (including college teaching after graduate school)
- Elective office (state and local levels)
- Employment oversees
Our students are employed throughout Michiana and beyond. Their employers include the Internal Revenue Service; St. Joseph Regional Medical Center; Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation; Press Ganey Associates, Inc.; Indiana Economic Development Corporation; Memorial Health System; University of Notre Dame; Michiana Area Council Government; City of Mishawaka; the Elkhart Chamber of Commerece; and elected office in the Indiana State Legislature, among others.
Many more have gone on to graduate studies throughout the U.S.
Students majoring in political science have the opportunity to work in internships at the local, state, and national level. In recent years, political science majors have completed internships for local city officials, state legislators in Indianapolis, members of Congress and federal agencies in Washington.
Students completing approved internships can earn from 1-3 political science course credits. Interested students should contact the chair, Dr. Steven Gerencser, or any faculty member of the department.
Click here for our Internship Database.