Do you need help with Lab Software, Hardware, Network, Access, Disk Quota?
How to Debug C++ Programs in Linux
We have the gdb debugger installed, as well as Eclipse, which is an integrated IDE with a GUI similar to VisualStudio and contains a debugger.
gdb is the GNU debugger and can be run directly from the command line (terminal).
How to Create Linux Installation CD
A Linux installation CD or DVD can be created in any operating system.
First, acquire a CD/DVD image, which is usually a disk image file with the extension .iso, from any trusted distribution site. Here are some of the popular distributions:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) - The distribution currently in our labs, developed by Red Hat and targeted towards the commercial market. RHEL is available only through a paid subscription service that provides access to software updates and varying levels of technical support, however IU Students have access to all releases of RHEL and can acquire a RHEL support community account through the following IU Knowledge Base webpage:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/aqau.html or IU Site https://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/
- Fedora - A free collection of software, including an operating system based on the Linux kernel, developed by the community-supported Fedora Project and owned by Red Hat. Fedora's main objective is not only to contain software distributed under a free and open source license, but also to be on the leading edge of such technologies, usually making upstream changes instead of applying fixes specifically for Fedora. Think of Fedora as a "prototypical version" of the future of RHEL.
- Ubuntu - A free distribution form Canonical, very popular and easy to use, with cloud and mobile support.
- Community Enterprise Operating System (CentOS) - A Linux distribution that attempts to provide a free enterprise class computing platform which has 100% binary compatibility with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). One could easily think of CentOS as "The Free Version" of RHEL since CentOS developers use Red Hat's source code to create a final product very similar to RHEL. CentOS possesses an extensive open source support community.
- Linux Mint - A Debian and Ubuntu based distribution, popular, easy to use, with great support.
Then follow these steps to create the CD
How to Manage your Disk Quotas in Linux Labs
How to Use USB and other External Drives in Linux
Check for Linux compatibility. Many are not supported by Linux.
In most cases, plugging in the USB drive or CD will cause it to be automatically mounted. The icon will appear on the desktop in that case.
The mount point is most likely goind to be /MEDIA/usb or /MEDIA/CD or some other similar name.
How to Create Personal Web Site in Linux
How to Print in the Labs
How to Connect to CS SSH Servers
- Read this document