Titans of Sustainability is a work-study internship program focused on engaging students in all facets of sustainability. Titans was made possible through support from Woman’s Philanthropy at Indiana University and through support from the Work Study Engagement Program supported by IU South Bend Academic Affairs.
Titans work closely with faculty, staff, and other students at the Center for a Sustainable Future. Students engage in a learning community, working together to connect real world problem solving, student learning, and community connections necessary for students as they progress through their academic careers and enter into the workforce.
Titans are involved in a number of initiatives, including:
- Campus garden, providing fresh produce to communities in need in South Bend
- Annual eWaste event, which provides Michiana community members a safe and environmentally sound way to dispose of their unwanted electronics
- Earth Day events, including the Mayors Proclamation for sustainable towns and cities
- Connecting to others interested in sustainability via the creation of newsletters and social media campaigns
- Sustainability Lecture Series, engaging the broader Michiana area with innovative sustainability thinkers and practitioners
- Annual Green Town event, connecting all facets of cities and towns to work together for sustainability
- New initiative connecting to area K-12 teachers and students interested in sustainability
- Opportunities to engage in a variety of sustainability related research projects