Major/Minor/Certificate Requirements

Bachelor of Arts in English

The English major prepares students for a variety of careers that demand expertise in analyzing texts, thinking critically, and writing for a diverse audience. These include, among others, print and electronic journalism, teaching, law, public relations, marketing, technical writing, librarianship, and information management.

Minor in English

Students of any major outside of English may choose to pursue a minor in English. ENG-L 202, and one other ENG-E or ENG-L at the 300-level or higher, must be completed, in addition to nine additional credit hours that would otherwise contribute to the major.

For the English Minor Checklist.

Dr. Kyoko Takanashi is the Advisor for the English Minor.

Minor in Creative Writing

English majors may minor in Creative Writing if they choose the literature concentration in the major. In place of the ENG-L 202 requirement for the minor, English majors take any creative writing course. In addition, they have the option to substitute another creative writing course for the literary survey requirement of the minor.

For the Creative Writing Minor Checklist.

Dr. Kelcey Ervick is the Advisor for the Creative Writing Minor.

Minor in Film Studies

English majors may minor in Film Studies with either the literature or writing concentration in the major. The minor may include up to 6 credit hours at the 100-level. In addition, students seeking to apply a course with a more comprehensive theme to the minor should be able to show that a major portion of their work, such as a term paper or similar assignment, dealt directly with a film studies topic. The Film Studies Committee reviews applications for substitutions.

For the Film Studies Minor Checklist.

Elaine Roth is the Advisor for the Film Studies Minor.

Indiana University South Bend

1700 Mishawaka Ave
South Bend, IN 46615
Phone: 574-520-4872