CLAS: Grade Replacement
Grade Replacement Policy:
The Grade Replacement Policy allows a student to repeat a course and remove the weight of the earlier grade from the cumulative grade point average (GPA). The grade from the first completion of the course remains on the student's transcript but is followed by an "X," to indicate that the grade is not included in the GPA. The Grade Replacement Policy is subject to the following restrictions:
- Grade replacement applies to undergraduate courses taken by a student who has not yet completed a bachelor’s degree.
- A student may apply the grade replacement option to a maximum of 3 courses or 10 credit hours, whichever comes first.
- Grade replacement may be applied to any specific course only once.
- Once granted, grade replacement cannot be removed.
- IUSB courses with grades other than “W,” “I,” or “NC” and courses from any IU campus with grades of “F” are eligible for grade replacement.
NOTE: Please allow up to 4 weeks for the grade replacement petition to be processed. If the petition is approved, the grade replacement will be reflected in the transcript and GPA. However, student academic status related to GPA (such as probation status) cannot be changed once the semester has started.