Welcome to February! Here are a few updates and reminders about what the Center for a Sustainable Future is doing and dates to save on your calendar.
- We hosted a successful Sustainability Internship Event that featured many different paid internship opportunities in and around South Bend. We are excited to be the third IU campus to participate in the Indiana Sustainability Development Program, which offers full time, well paid positions with municipalities, businesses, and nonprofits.
Sustain IU Summit:
Last month we attended the Sustain IU summit in Bloomington. I attended along with two of our work study students, Carmen and Tony, and Deb Marr, Director of the Sustainability Studies program. We all left very excited to be part of statewide initiatives and also proud of the work we have done and are doing in South Bend.
- All Campuses are applying to be certified as Tree Campus by the Arbor Day Foundation. The first meeting of the IUSB Tree Committee will take place within the next 2 weeks to review a Tree Care Plan and set campus goals.
- All IU campuses will host a tree planting event around Earth Day/Arbor Day in late April. At IUSB, we will do multiple projects and plantings on Friday, April 19 from 9a-noon. All are welcome to participate! Trees and plantings site have been selected, and plans with South Bend Venues Parks and Arts, as well as Southwestern Michigan’s Honors Program, continue next week.
- Open to donations &/or physical support for the cost of trees and the planting event!
- Sustainability & Innovation Series begins Wednesday, February 6 from 7:00-8:30pm in DW1001. Hope you can attend one or more in this diverse and interesting set of local speakers! Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/sustainabilityinnovation
- March 29, 11:30-1:00pm. Advisory Board Meeting. We will be reviewing plans and goals for the updated Strategic Plan and identifying nominees for the Earth Day Awards.
- The annual Earth Day Reception & Awards Ceremony is Thursday, April 18, 5:30-7:30pm in the University Grill.
- Film screening, “An Inconvenient Sequel” on Monday, February 25 at 4pm.
- Monthly features about how to “Experience Sustainable Michiana” on WNIT’s Experience Michiana. If you have ideas or recommendations, let me know!